Saturday, August 3, 2013

Studying Up on the Scotch

On the list today is opening preparation.  As usual, I plan to use the white pieces in my very aggressive Scotch Gambit.  After looking through my go-to openings book, Chess Openings for White, Explained by Lev Alburt, I decided to look over a few of my quick wins with the opening, as well as play it a few times on Gameknot (Check out my link on the right).

Here is a game from my most recent tournament at the Akron Chess Club:

Tournament: Akron Chess Club July (7/20/13)
Reserve Section (Round 2)
White: Mitchell Fabian (1596)
Black: Eric Fleet (1675)
1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. d4 exd4
4. Bc4
I opt to give up a pawn in order to get a temp and gather initiative.
4... Nf6
5. e5 Qe7?
Qe7 is a mistake in calculation.  The only true good move was 5... d5
6. 0-0 Qc5
Not 6... Qxe5??, which fails to 7. Re1!
7. Bxf7+
Much better, in hindsight, would have been 7. exf6! because the queen cannot take the bishop due to Re1+, followed by Ng5, and b3, winning the queen that cannot move due to the threat of Nxf7#.
7... Kxf7
8. Ng5+ Kg6??
9. Qd3+
Black resigns, as mate is impossible to escape.

While not every game goes as well as this, I love the sharp tactical play that unfolds when using the Scotch Gambit.

Check back tomorrow for more fun chess as I prepare for the Cleveland Open!

No comments:

Post a Comment