Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Importance of Thinking

I am one of those people that believe in the psychology of chess.  I play very aggressive openings and very sharp tactics in order to make my opponent uncomfortable.  With people like me in mind, I have been teaching my students about the importance of thinking in chess.

Thought patterns are, in my opinion, the most important part of chess to improve at an early stage.  Once you have reinforced your thoughts, then it is time to learn the deep theory and understanding of the game.  One cannot learn the importance of the dark-squared bishop in the Dragon variation if one does not understand how to think about the dark squares it controls.

A great way to start preparing your mind is by playing an opponent that is far more advanced than you are.  Have both you and the opponent say exactly what comes to their mind at all points.  Eventually, you will begin to understand the thought process it takes to advance in play.

With a better thought process, you will be able to formulate plans much more efficiently, and you will not fall prey to psychological strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment